*New* – Passport Services
Passport Information Sheet
De Soto Public Library – a Passport Application Acceptance Agency
Passport Services are available by walk-in and appointment only at De Soto Public Library. Please review the schedule below. Please call (636) 586.3858 to make an appointment. Please plan to appear at your appointed time. Applicants who are more than 15 minutes late will be rescheduled.
Monday – By appointment only
Tuesday – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Wednesday – By appointment only
Thursday – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday – By appointment only
Saturday – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Sunday – Closed
Routine application processing takes 4-6 weeks. An expedited passport can take 2-3 weeks.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A PASSPORT
Please refer to www.travel.state.gov/passport for full information and requirements for applying for a passport. You may also call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
A passport book can be used for international air travel. A passport card can be used for land or sea travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel. The adult passport book and card are good for ten years. The minor (under age 16) passport book and card are good for five years.
You must appear in person when applying for a passport. Minors must be accompanied by their parents or guardians.
When applying for a passport book or card, you must provide:
- A completed application (form DS-11) for a passport (available at the library OR at www.travel.state.gov/passport). If filling out the form online, it must be printed on separate sheets of paper. If filling out the form by hand, the form must be completed in black ink only. Do not sign the application before coming to your appointment. You will sign it in front of the Passport Acceptance Agent. Do not fold the application.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship which may be a previous U.S. passport, certified birth certificate*, or Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization. No photocopies will be accepted. The original document will be submitted with your application and will be returned with your issued passport. If you do not have a certified copy of your birth certificate, you may order one from www.vitalcheck.com. Please refer to www.travel.state.gov/passport for full information on documents for proof of citizenship.
- Current proof of identity which may be established with a previous U.S. passport or a current valid driver’s license, military I.D. card, or State I.D. card. Further proof of identification is required if providing a State I.D. card or out-of-state driver’s license. Please refer to www.travel.state.gov/passport for full information on poof of identity requirements, including name change requirements.
- A photocopy of the front and back of your photo ID (we can provide this)
- One passport photo**
- Check or money order made out to U.S. Department of State for appropriate application fee***
- Check, cash, or money order for execution fee ($35 per application) made out to De Soto Public Library.
*Birth Certificate Requirements
To be used as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for a passport application, certified copies of birth certificates must include the following information:
- Full name of the applicant
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Full names of applicant’s parents
- The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year of date of birth)
Birth certificates missing this information are not acceptable as evidence of citizenship.
For births in Missouri, you may obtain a certified birth certificate from any county health department that issues them. Locally, the Jefferson County Health Department, 405 Main Street, Hillsboro, MO. 63050. Call for hours and prices.
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis:
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
Please refer to www.travel.state.gov/passport for full information on passport photos.
Check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State per application:
- Adult passport book $110
- Minor (under age 16) passport book $80
- Adult passport card $30
- Minor (under age 16) passport card $15
- Expedited service $60
Separate Check, money order, or cash made payable to De Soto Public Library:
- Execution fee per application $35
Please Note – The Application Fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.
Please refer to www.state.travel.gov/passport for full information on passport fees.
Requirements for Minors:
- Children Under 16
- All applications for children under 16 require both parents’ consent.
- Both parents must appear with the child when applying for a passport.
- Both parents must submit ID.
- Birth certificates must be submitted for all children showing parental relationship (even if the child has had a previous passport).
- If both parents cannot be present, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances, notarized and signed by the non-applying parent, along with a photocopy of the front and back of the non-applying parent’s ID.
- Minors ages 16 and 17
- Applicant must appear in person with at least one parent or guardian. Parent or guardian must provide identification and sign the DS-11 form.
- Applicant must submit copy of certified birth certificate and present identification.
- Applicants ages 16 and 17 apply for an adult passport.
Please refer to www.state.travel.gov/passport for full information on requirements for minors.
RENEWING YOUR CURRENT PASSPORT
De Soto Public Library does not accept passport renewal applications. You must complete the mail-in renewal process yourself. You may pick up a paper copy of the DS-82 Passport Renewal form at the library or print one from the state department website.
You can renew your passport if these conditions apply to your current U.S. passport:
- It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
- It was issued when you were age 16 or older
- It was issued within the last 15 years
- It was issued in your current name (or your name change legal document is mailed in with your application)
You will need a current passport photo to submit with your application.
Please refer to www.state.travel.gov/passport for full information on Passport Renewal Requirements.